Volunteer Building Director Program (VBD)
In order to reduce the cost for using the Fairfax County Public School gyms, we are required to provide Volunteer Building Directors during gym use.
During practices, a coach or an assistant coach can act as the VBD. During games, the Coaches, Time/Scorekeepers CAN NOT serve as the team VBD.
Each team is required to have 2 parents (VBD's must be 18 years of age or older) as certified VBD's
The process to become a certified VBD is brief and consists of viewing a short video and then taking an on-line test through the Fairfax County website. Once you submit and pass the test, the County will send you a certificate of completion via email. You must carry this certificate with you at all times when you serve as VBD at the FCPS gyms. To watch the video and take the short test, you will need to create an account and log into the Fairfax County's FAR system.
To access the VBD/VFD information:
· Log in to FAR here: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/afar/FARLogin.aspx
· Click on the “Director Profile” tab
From there, you can watch the video, take the test, and access any forms you may need.
Role of the Volunteer Building Director:
- Must be present at all times.
- Responsible for the supervision of all players and spectators.
- Responsible for interpreting all rules and regulations of Fairfax County Neighborhood and Community Services (NCS) and ensuring that all groups comply.
- Must check in with custodial staff upon arriving and check out with custodial staff when leaving.
- Must make sure that the facility is left in the condition that it was found.
- Must report all usage problems and facility damage to Fairfax County NCS.
Important Phone Numbers:
- Inclement Weather and Cancelation Hotline: 703-324-5264
- Athletic Services after hours Nights and Weekend Phone Line: 703-609-8870
- Athletic Services Fax Number: 703-324-5546
- General Information Numbers: 703-324-5522, TTY 711
- FCPS Security 703-609-8870
Expectations for Groups Using a Facility:
- No food or drink allowed on school property with the exception of water bottles!
- Respect the authority of the custodians, school staff, and NCS Staff.
- Carry a permit at all times.
- Respect and abide by your permitted times.
- Spectators and players are restricted to the gymnasium only.
- Respect school property. The facility must be left in the same condition in which it was found.
- Notify NCS of any non-use of a facility as soon as possible.
AT NO TIME shall the following be permitted on school property: alcohol, tobacco products, illegal drugs, or weapons. Always practice "Character Counts".
What to Do in Case of a Usage Problem:
- Call the Department of NCS on-call staff at 703-609-8870, TTY 711
- Monday - Friday: 4:30 - 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Call School Security at 703-764-2400, TTY 711